ACL or anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction is a surgical procedure that repairs damaged ACL in the knee. This type of injury is common among athletes and active individuals and may significantly impact their daily activities and sports performance. After undergoing ACL reconstruction surgery, patients are eager to know how long it takes to heal and resume their normal activities. In this write-up, we will explore the recovery timeline for ACL reconstruction surgery and provide helpful tips for a successful recovery.
At Eva Hospital, we offer state-of-the-art orthopedic services, including ACL reconstruction surgery, to help our patients achieve a full and speedy recovery. Our team of experienced orthopedic surgeons, physiotherapists, and nurses work together to provide comprehensive care and support to our patients throughout their recovery journey.
Recovery Timeline for ACL Reconstruction Surgery
The recovery timeline for ACL reconstruction surgery varies from patient to patient, depending on several factors, such as the severity of the injury, the patient’s age, overall health, and adherence to postoperative instructions.
Here is a general timeline for ACL reconstruction surgery recovery:
First Week After Surgery
- Patients are typically discharged from the hospital on the same day of the surgery or the day after.
- The knee is immobilized with a brace or cast for a few days to allow for initial healing.
- Patients are advised to rest and avoid any weight-bearing activities.
- Physical therapy begins on the first day after the surgery, focusing on exercises and gentle muscle activation.
Second Week After Surgery
- The patient continues with physical therapy exercises to improve muscle strength.
- Patients may use crutches to move around and avoid putting weight on the affected knee.
- The knee brace or cast is removed, and the patient is fitted with a knee brace that allows controlled motion.
Third Week After Surgery
- Physical therapy exercises become more challenging, focusing on balance, coordination, and weight-bearing activities.
- Patients may begin to walk without crutches and put more weight on the affected knee.
- Patients are advised to avoid high-impact activities, such as running, jumping, and pivoting.
Fourth Week After Surgery
- Physical therapy continues to focus on muscle strengthening and improving flexibility and balance.
- Patients may start light exercises, such as cycling and swimming, as long as their doctor approves.
- Depending on their progress and the surgeon’s recommendation, patients may begin to walk without the knee brace.
Sixth Week After Surgery
- Patients may start to engage in more challenging exercises, such as jogging and low-impact sports.
- Patients are advised to avoid high-impact activities until cleared by their surgeon.
Twelfth Week After Surgery
- Physical therapy continues to focus on improving muscle strength and function.
- Patients may start to engage in high-impact activities, such as jumping and pivoting, if their surgeon approves.
- Patients must avoid activities that cause pain or discomfort in the affected knee.
Six Months After Surgery
- Patients should have completed their physical therapy program and have regained full range of motion and muscle strength.
- Patients may resume their normal activities, including sports, depending on their surgeon’s recommendation.
Tips for a Successful ACL Reconstruction Surgery Recovery
Follow Your Surgeon’s Instructions
Your surgeon will provide detailed instructions on how to care for your knee, manage pain, and when to start physical therapy. It is essential to follow these instructions to ensure a successful recovery.
Attend Physical Therapy Sessions
Physical therapy is crucial for a successful recovery after ACL injury treatment. Your physical therapist will guide you through exercises that improve muscle strength and function.
Rest & Avoid High-Impact Activities
Rest is crucial in the first few weeks after surgery to allow for initial healing. It
Perks of Choosing EVA Hospital for ACL Reconstruction
At EVA Hospital, our experienced orthopedic surgeons use the latest techniques and equipment to ensure the best possible outcome for our patients.
Below mentioned are some upsides of choosing EVA Hospital for your ACL reconstruction surgery:
Our hospital has the latest technology and advanced facilities to provide the highest quality care.
Our orthopedic surgeons are highly skilled and experienced in ACL reconstruction surgery and follow the latest international standards.
We offer comprehensive care to our patients, from pre-operative evaluation to postoperative physical therapy.
Personalized Treatment Plans
We develop personalized treatment plans for each patient based on their unique needs, ensuring the best possible outcome.
We prioritize our patient’s needs and provide a comfortable and stress-free environment to help them focus on their recovery.
Our hospital is in a prime location, making it easy for patients to access our services.
Recovery from ACL reconstruction surgery can be a lengthy process, but with the right care and guidance, it can be a successful one. Choosing the right hospital for your ACL reconstruction surgery can significantly affect the recovery time and outcome.
We are committed to providing the highest quality orthopedic care and specialized ACL reconstruction services at EVA Hospital. With our expert surgeons, state-of-the-art facilities, personalized treatment plans, and patient-centered approach, we ensure the best possible outcome for our patients.
Contact us today to know more about our services and schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists.